Tuesday 3 December 2013

OFO Walk: Niagara River - Part 3

At this point, Adam and I were pretty pumped about seeing another lifer but unfortunately, the trip ended. Some people were going to look for Little Gulls at Queenston or something and some were going to see the Lark Sparrow that wasn't reported since noon. So Adam and I decided to go see the Lark Sparrow and add another lifer. So we drove down. It took a long time to drive but we were along the river so I saw a Common  Loon really close to shore. Eventually we got to the house that it was reported at and there was already a huge line of cars. When we got there I asked Matthew (the other young birder that I mentioned earlier) if they saw it at all and he said no. He did tell me that there was a Bald Eagle in a tree right behind us that we didn't notice so I ran over to get some photos (I haven't seen a Bald Eagle up close or taken a photo). But before i could get to it, it flew off.

I did get some really crappy shots of it from behind.


After the Bald Eagle took off, leaving my mom and I disappointed, we looked for the Lark Sparrow some more. Matthew noticed some birds flying around two houses over so he decided to check it out. At this point we were walking to the car so we could drive home but then someone came out of the backyard that Matthew was going in and said "The sparrow's over here!!". I called my mom and ran for the backyard as the other birders were doing. I went down the side of the house towards the backyard and there was already a huge crowd of people lined up. I have never seen so many people trying to find one bird. Birders are so polite. They were actually in a line. No pushing, no yelling. Quiet and collected. Eventually I got to the front. I was ahead of my mom by about 10 people. I looked around for movement in the trees but I got nothing. Until a small songbird landed on a feeder a couple meters from us. It was the sparrow! I don't know how but my mom managed to get in front of me while I was desperately trying to get photos of it. But I made it out with a couple blurry shots. 

This is quite the bird. Another lifer!

One more part left.

Hope you enjoyed.

2 comments:

  1. Henrique, I'm thrilled to see you've made a blog! I bet you'll keep at it much better than I do with mine :P
    It looks like you had a successful birding weekend, with a bunch of cool people. Nice photos of the LASP and REPH, and the Kittiwake is very identifiable! Don't fret the short views of the eagle; if you know where to go you can see a bunch at one time! I'll have to head up that way sometime in the next couple months and take you out for a day of winter birding. Keep up the birding and the blog, and talk to you soon!

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeremy! I've been falling behind on posting but that'll change. I got really good views of a bald eagle waiting for a Canada goose to die but it wasn't giving up. It would be awesome to go birding sometime.

      Henrique

      Delete