Saturday 18 January 2014

I Got 200!

If you have read my last couple blog posts you could tell I was close to 200 birds on my life list for North America.

On the recent OFO trip we didn't see much but we did see a flock of Snow Buntings which brought me up to 199.

It was very foggy so the pictures didn't turn out that well.

But today was a great day. I headed to Bronte Harbour with my friend Adam to check out the "Heerman's Gull" that was reported there. To be honest I didn't think someone actually saw a Heerman's because there was no one talking about it and the email was done very badly which made me skeptical, but it doesn't hurt to check. I didn't see anything good. A flock of White-Winged Scoters was cool but nothing else.

After that Adam went home and my mom and I decided to go to Whitby to look for the Great Grey Owl. It was quite a long drive and when we got there we asked where it was and nobody had seen it since yesterday. So we decided to park and wait just in case it shows up. Good thing we did because as soon as we parked someone spotted it. Great Grey Owl is easily my favourite owl so I was very excited to see it.

Boom, 200th bird right there and my favourite owl!



He would fly around the forest edge, swooping down to the ground and back to the top of a tree.

Find the owl!

I also attempted digi-scoping without an attachment.


After a while we decided to leave to look for the Barred Owl on Hall's Road but no luck. But we did see Wild Turkeys so 201 birds on my list!

I did get some nice crow shots.

We then went to Whitby Harbour to look for a previously reported Snowy Owl. It took us quite a while to get into the yacht club to get close enough for pictures but it was worth it.

First Snowy of the year!

So after that we called it a pretty successful day and headed home. But as if we haven't been lucky enough that day, we were on the highway we noticed a large predatory-like bird flying above us. An adult  Bald Eagle! At that point we were just so happy with our day.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment